The office of the ombudsman cannot intervene regarding an act or omission :
- Related to the Council, executive-committee, or any committee or commission of the City;
- Related to any person in the context of working relationships with the citizen or the group of citizens whose interests would be targeted by the intervention or investigation;
- Related to an elected municipal official or any individual that is a member of the cabinet of elected municipal officials;
- Related to a police officer belonging to the City’s Police Department;
- Related to the City’s General Auditor;
- Related to the Société de transport de Laval or one of its employees;
- Related to the municipal services of a different city.
The Ombudsman also cannot investigate or intervene regarding a private dispute between citizens or a decision ruled by a court, an agency, or a person exercising judicial or quasi-judicial functions.
Before filing a complaint
The requests submitted to the Ombudsman are systematically processed. The Ombudsman should, however, be considered a last resort service. We therefore request for the citizen to have used up all other remedies made available by the municipal administration before contacting us. The Ombudsman and his or her executive assistant also make sure to adequately direct citizens toward the appropriate resource or to intervene directly so that the citizen receives a follow-up.
The greatest care is taken to listen to and respect the requests submitted to the Ombudsman. The citizen can count on an approach based on mediation and conciliation. Citizens can easily request the intervention of the Ombudsman: the procedures are simple, and the treatment time of cases is much shorter than that of judicial remedies.
I was fortunate enough to have the assistance of Me Nadine Mailloux. I cannot thank her enough for her work on this matter. Mme Mailloux’s work ethic, professionalism and integrity are incredible.